RECIPE: Bacon and Egg Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
6 cups fresh mixed greens
½ lb. slab of bacon
4 eggs, they should be free of cracks
1 bunch asparagus – choose a bunch with smaller stalks
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 English cucumber
3-4 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Fresh ground pepper
The bacon vinaigrette definitely makes this salad is a luxurious treat. If you’re on a ketogenic diet then it’s perfect for you. But if you prefer, substitute the bacon vinaigrette for another tangy vinaigrette
1. Mixed greens: Wash the greens well, removing any soggy leaves. Place paper towel in a large bowl and place the greens on top. Leave to air-dry.
2. Bacon: Cut the bacon into 1-inch strips, these are called lardons. Heat a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon until crisp, about minutes. Blot the lardons on oil-absorbent sheets and reserve the rendered fat.
3. Eggs: Fill a small saucepan with enough water that will cover the eggs by about an inch. Bring the water to boil then reduce to a simmer. Gently place the eggs into the water, then return to a boil. Boil for 7 – 10 minutes depending on how you like your yolks. When cool, remove the shell and slice into ¼-inch rounds.
4. Asparagus: Trim 1-inch from the ends of the asparagus. Using a double-broiler method, steam the asparagus for 5 minutes until bright green and crisp. Immediately shock in cold water. Drain and set aside.
5. Avocado: Cut the avocado in half, lengthwise. Remove the seed. Slice the avocado into long slices.
6. English cucumber: slice the cucumber into ¼-inch rounds.
For the vinaigrette
1. Measure the amount of bacon fat you have (if necessary, rewarm it). Place into a non-reactive boil.
2. Add 1/3rd the amount of sherry vinegar and all the Dijon mustard. Whisk vigorously for 1 minute.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, you can add a little more sherry vinegar to taste.
This is meant to be a composed salad, so place the greens in a large enough bowl and arrange all the ingredients in sections around the bowl (instead of tossing everything together). Drizzle with your delicious vinaigrette and enjoy.